Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Lost Faith

I've lost faith in the next generation.

When I get off work every day, I come home and tutor a 9th grader. My county has two of the top ten public schools in the country. Keep this in mind.

I asked three questions throughout our discussion.

He's been studying the Israel/Palestine debate for two weeks in class.
Question 1:
Me: So, which political party controls the West Bank and is represented by the President?
Student: Fajita

Question 2:
Me: Jerusalem is a very important city for all the Abrahamic religions, as you know.
Student: Is that why the Christians are fighting the Jews?
Me: Excuse me?
Student: You know, Israelis are Jews and Palestinians are Christians.*
Me: How long have you been studying this?

*(I realize that about 10% of Palestinians are Christian. He, however, thought it was their defining characteristic.)

Question 3: (Not related to the Middle East)
(Listening to "O Fortuna", from Carmina Burana, by Carl Orff)
Me: Do you know where that music is from? I know you've heard it.
Student: Ya, its from Jackass the Movie. Jackass is what made it famous.

Is there a God?

These, of course, join my huge list of fantastically enlightened quotes from around the world. They'll be published in the near future; book forthcoming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home